Building custom GPTs has never been easier like this before OpenAI released GPTs and Assistants. Although OpenAI’s Dev Day — nicknamed Red Wedding — killed thousands of startups, it introduced tons of opportunities to people at the same time.
Let me introduce you to connect your custom GPT to your Slack workspace. If you haven’t made one, check “How To Create Your Own Custom GPT: Beginner’s Complete Guide”.
How it Works
Before we jump into the integration, let me explain how it works:
- Build a custom GPT using OpenAI GPTs. We assume that you have already made one.
- Convert the custom GPT to an OpenAI Assistant so that Slack can send API requests to it.
- Connect the OpenAI Assistant with Slack workspace using PlugBear at no cost.
Simple, isn’t it? Let’s dive in.
1. Converting GPTs into Assistant
OpenAI’s GPTs and Assistant are similar to each other. Although there are small differences, most configurations can be interchangeable.
Here is the step-by-step guide to converting GPTs to Assistants:
- Visit the GPTs Explore page and click the “Edit” button of your GPTs. Then click the “Configure” menu.
- Open a new browser tab, visit the Assistants page, and click the “Create” button on the top right.
- Copy the Name and Instructions from GPTs to the Assistant.
- If you have uploaded “Knowledge” files to GPTs, upload them to Assistant under the FILES tool. You should turn on the “Retrieval” menu.
- Click the “Save” button to create the OpenAI Assistant.
2. Connecting the Assistant to your Slack Workspace using PlugBear
Although you can write code to integrate between Slack and Assistant, it takes a longer time than you expect because of so many edge cases. Don’t worry. PlugBear is a great no-code tool for connecting the Assistant and Slack.
Follow these simple steps:
- Sign up for PlugBear.io (It’s free!)
- Add your Slack workspace from the Channels page.
- Open the LLM Apps page and click the “Add App” button.
- Paste your OpenAI API Key and select the Assistant you created. If you don’t have an OpenAI API Key, visit the OpenAI API Keys page to create one.
- Open the Connections page, click the “New Connections” button, and select your Slack workspace and the Assistant to connect them.
All Done! Check the “Connecting the OpenAI Assistant to Slack with PlugBear” post if you need a more detailed guide with screenshots.
3. Having Fun
@PlugBear to your Slack channel and ask the bot questions with a mention. Your custom GPTs will get the query and give you an answer using the Slack thread.
Tips. You can change the bot name
PlugBear from the Slack app configuration page.
OpenAI enabled a lot of possibilities for the world. If you don’t know where to start, building an onboarding Q&A bot for new members can be a good starting point. Let me cover the simple way to build one soon.
Let your imagination run wild and make it a reality. And don’t forget to connect them to the world using PlugBear.